Headlines News :
Home » , , , » The Dark Tower, by Stephen King

The Dark Tower, by Stephen King

Written By Stephen Eli Harris on Monday, March 06, 2006 | 3/06/2006 09:21:00 pm

Share this article :
I started the first of the Dark Tower saga back in 1998, during a time in my life that reading wasn't of interest. I think it was because school turned me off of it... but, that's a story for another time.

It was the first of aforementioned 7 novel saga and Stephen King's work in general that helped develop the love for reading I have now. Of course, there was a lengthy period of time following my first reading of 'Gunslinger' that all I read was King's work. Not that much has changed since then; I read one King book now for every other book I finish. One King, something else, another King, something else, etc, etc, etc. That changes now though as I've reverted back to my all King diet.

Stephen recently finished the last 3 novels of the Dark Tower and I've yet to read how it all ends. Though I do have 2 of the last 3 in my possession, I've decided to go back to the start and follow Roland and his companions once again as they travel towards their end goal of reaching the Dark Tower. I figured it was just as well to get back into the world from the start instead of picking it up 5 novels in, especially considering it's been 3 years since I read the 4th one.

Just yesterday, I finished 'The Gunslinger' and am anxiously awaiting to get a chance to crack open 'The Drawing of the Three' which I remember as being my favorite of the lot (of the one I've read so far). Of course, I also remembered not liking Gunslinger that much the first time around and this time, I loved every second of it. Perhaps that has more to do with my now developed love for reading than the work itself. Who knows?

Either way, I'm sure I'm in for quite the ride as I journey with Roland and his pals once again. This time, I'll finally see how it all turns out... 8 years after starting the journey in the first place. I can only imagine how King must have felt writing it. He was always so unsure of whether or not the story would be finished. It must have been hell to be in the middle of a story without an end in sight.

Anyway, enough of this chit chat; I've got a book to read...

TAG, TAG, TAG!

, , , ,

4 comments:

Beth said...

Came across your blog on BlogMad. I'm a huge King fan-I'm currently (trying) to finish The Wolves of the Calla. Imagine having to wait 5-7 years between books in the series! Nice blog!

Suzanne said...

Wow, I give you lots of credit. I've been reading the Dark Tower Series since 1992, and could barely contain myself to hold off reading book 6 until I knew book 7 was available. Overall a great series.

Loved to hear what you think of it when you finish them all

Suzanne

Stephen Eli Harris said...

Thanks for visiting Beth and Suzanne. It's nice to chat with fellow Dark Tower fans.

Yeah, waiting to read the last 3 is quite difficult but, I figure it'll pay off in the end. I'll be fully steeped in the world when I finish the journey and that's a bonus to me.

I'll be posting about my journey as each book is finished so, you'll likely hear what I have to say about it... if you ever return that is.

Stephen

Kain said...

Just now found this blog. I know it's an old post, but I can't contain myself.

I remember finding the Gunslinger a very vaugely written book with unclear story points and trippy moments that kindof left me feeling unresolved at the end of it, but book two really began my craving for more in the series. I just finished the last of the books, and have begun to re-read the series for the first time. I must say that the first volume is much, much better the second time through, because now that I know the full story, it makes alot more sense, and you can see alot of foreshadowing that I of course didn't pick up the first time.

I hope you enjoyed the last volumes of the series, I know I did (Save for book five, which is the worste in the series, in my opinion. )


--Kain

Follow by Email

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger
Copyright © 2005-2013. Understanding Eli - All Rights Reserved
Template Design by Creating Website Published by Mas Template