Headlines News :
Home » , , , » J.J Abrams to Adapt Dark Tower Series

J.J Abrams to Adapt Dark Tower Series

Written By Stephen Eli Harris on Monday, May 04, 2009 | 5/04/2009 10:06:00 pm

Share this article :
Holy sweet mother of god! Did I actually type that headline? Did I actually read this news? Am I dreaming? Is it actually true? Is it April Fools day? Is it actual fact that J.J Abrams (of Lost and the upcoming Star Trek prequel fame) actually going to adapt the Stephen King masterpiece? Is it true? Is it real? Is it fact? Is it... is it... Hold on, I have to take a breath. Give me a sec...

...
...
...

Okay, yeah, my heart is racing here, but I better get on with it before I pass out.

According to an article on the MTV movie blog (and followed soon after on Esplatter and on NewsinFilm and likely countless others) both J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof will be tackling the daunting task of adapting the masterpiece that is the Dark Tower Saga after their work on Lost is complete. Apparently there has been whispers of this happening for quite some time (sheesh, where have I been?) but, as MTV reports they indeed have now secured the rights for the film(s):
“Damon Lindelof and I talked to Mr. King,” Abrams told IGN while promoting the upcoming “Star Trek” film. “We got the rights for ['Dark Tower'] as a film. Damon is obviously still on ‘Lost’ and we’ve been working on ‘Star Trek’ together. As soon as ‘Lost’ is done, hopefully we’ll begin tackling that.”
Wowie Mowie!!!

With the hit series Lost not ending until after next season, we're still a year and a bit away from these two even starting to think about the saga, but according to the sites I read this information from, the plan is to work the epic series into a number of films much similar to the hit 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy. Of course, how else would they handle it? This story is 7 massive novels long with tonnes of very rich and detailed characters who span over multiple worlds and times. There is no possible way that it could be fairly treated in one 2 hour sitting. In fact, if they even attempted to cram everything into one film they'd have an angry lynch mob after their heads... or worse.

Having said that, the hardest thing about creating a franchise is getting people out to the first movie of the series. One movie may very well be all we ever get in the end, if they're even able to wrap their heads around the task in the first place. Not that I can ever see that happening. With the fame that these two have gained from the ever awesome Lost series (and the further fame they'll no doubt gain from Star Trek) combined with the large population of readers who adore the Dark Tower Saga, there is no way the theatres will not be packed.

The funny thing is, now that I know these folks will be working on it, I truly can't see anyone else being able to handle it. With their history creating the hit series they're currently working on, they have a definite knack for telling engrossing stories involving multiple characters in a multitude of time periods. All we have to do now is wait. I know I'll be following this story closely as it develops. For now, I have to go lay down before my excitement educes a heart attack. Can't have that now can I? I'd never see the films that way.


11 comments:

Frye said...

Oh man, I hope this happens! I figured the series would be put to film eventually but I was afraid it was going to get the normal Stephen King treatment. (ie most every ridiculous tv miniseries based on SK novels.)

As much as I love Lost I almost can't wait for it to be over so they can get to work. (That and so Lost's crazy storyline can finally make some sense.)

Stephen Eli Harris said...

I was worried about the same thing, not to say that I fully hate most of the King adaptations. I just know that this series is beloved to most King fans and it deserves a proper treatment. Let's hope that JJ and his gang are the ones to do that. I know I have all the faith in the world.

Lookin' forward to seeing how this develops. At least we'll have Lost to keep us busy until then eh?

Hedy™ said...

i cant't find other place to say hi so, thanks for the visit..

Stephen Eli Harris said...

Here is as good a place as any to say hello. Thanks for returning the visit! Hope to see you again.

Shu Fen said...

WEEEEEEE!! ~~

I loved Stephen King's Dark tower series!

i hope it is as gruesome as it was in the book xD

Vicissitudes of Life

Stephen Eli Harris said...

I'm hoping the same thing, but not just as gruesome; as beautiful and moving as well.

Frye said...

I'm probably going to get a little impatient but you really can't complain about Lost (and Fringe) keeping us busy, that's for sure.

Stephen Eli Harris said...

It's funny that you mentioned Fringe. I only found out about that show last night. Haven't seen a single episode, but I'll certainly be checking it out.

As for the DT movies, I probably will become very impatient as well. It's bad enough having to wait almost a year for each season of Lost, let alone a number of years or more for these films.

Frye said...

Fringe is a pretty good show. My girlfriend and I have been a bit hooked from the start. It's definitely worth a check.

It will be a long wait, those Lost waits are miserable, I always lose track of what's going on. But Lost is always worth the wait, I know the DT movie(s) will be as well.

AdviceMaven said...

This is the first I have heard about this. I am so excited. All they need to do is to stay true to the characters and the rest will fall into place.

Stephen Eli Harris said...

Frye: I'll definitely be checking out Fringe. Thanks for letting me know how good it is.

I know what you mean about Lost. With a year wait, I tend to forget what happened as well. Of course, with that show, there is so much going on that it's easy to lose track. Of course, that's just a good excuse to go back and start from the beginning again. Ha Ha!

AdviceMaven: I couldn't agree more. As long as the Ka Tet are true to their masters vision and well casted, we should be fine. I have all the faith in the world that JJ can tell the story.

Follow by Email

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger
Copyright © 2005-2013. Understanding Eli - All Rights Reserved
Template Design by Creating Website Published by Mas Template