Headlines News :
Home » , » Kings and Hockey Things

Kings and Hockey Things

Written By Stephen Eli Harris on Friday, June 17, 2011 | 6/17/2011 01:06:00 am

Share this article :
In the summer of 2010 I spent a considerable amount of time stating two words over and over again: King Kovi. Both my friends and perhaps the folks on LetsGoKings all eventually hated me because of it, but I truly believed it was about to happen and didn't back down from that position. That is until Ilya Kovelchuk said no to playing with the Los Angeles Kings, which of course was much to my dismay. After having a vision in my head for so long of what the roster would look like with the inclusion of this sniper, discovering that it wasn't going to happen was quite the heart breaker. I'm not sure what was worse though; seeing my favorite team not get the player, or the ridicule I felt from my peers when it didn't happen. In the end it was probably for the best, considering how Ilya played for most of the year, but I still can't help to think how different the Kings would have been with that addition.

It's rather sad that I haven't posted anything about the Kings in a year, especially anything regarding what I note above. That has a lot to do with taking care of a rather intense fantasy hockey league as the commissioner during the season but beyond that, I've been busy with the NL BlogRoll these days as well, let alone work and life and all that stuff. I have followed my beloved Kings all season however, through the ups and downs, to the eventual 7th place finish in the Western Conference with 98 points. Not a bad close at all, considering they were down two key players during the final tough games of the season. One of those players being Kopitar, hands down the best player on the team, was not good to say the least. They went into the post season without this key players as well, in the end losing to the Sharks in 6 games of the first round. I wasn't heartbroken at all over this though. I kind of didn't want them to win without King Kopitar anyway. It just wouldn't feel right without him and there's always next year... which of course will be 'our' year. :)

In related news, I have to mention that former Kings player Teddy Purcell went on to have a very great year with Tampa Bay. That was very good to see because I always knew he had it in him. I just wish he were able to find that groove in LA. It would have been nice to have that Newfoundland Labrador connection on my favorite team of 20 years.

Speaking of Newfoundland and Labrador connections, Michael Ryder is now the second Newfoundland born player to win the Stanley Cup. Congrats Michael! To all the Boston Bruins for that matter.

While I'm at it, it's just as well I mention that St. John's is getting an AHL team this coming season. It's going to be Winnipeg/Manitoba/whoever's farm team. Oh yeah, as a side note, Atlanta Thrashers have been sold and moved to Winnipeg! That's seven Canadian teams! As exciting as that is, I'm equally jazzed about the AHL team, but mainly because of the chance of seeing LA's farm team play. That's going to be awesome.

Anyway, crazy tangent (after tangent) there; sorry about that. It's been such a long time since chatting hockey on the blog here that I think it's all just blurting out. What's funny about this is that I'm actually gearing up to take a break from hockey now (well, maybe after July 1st; free agency day!). With all the hockey hoopla over the long winter, I need that break to refresh. Having said that, I'm already looking forward to a new season. Kopi back on the ice and full year with Penner (trade deadline day addition) in place, plus any new additions Dean will bring in, should make for a very exciting hockey team next year.

Until then, I'm going to get out there and enjoy my summer!

0 comments:

Follow by Email

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger
Copyright © 2005-2013. Understanding Eli - All Rights Reserved
Template Design by Creating Website Published by Mas Template