Ahem, that's ELection, with an L. Those who came here thinking this post was something else should turn around now... though, I gotta say, this election has been quite exciting, just not that kind of exciting. I say 'has' as if it's all over, but in reality it's still very much on the go. As I post this, there is nearly exactly 1.5 hours remaining until the polls close in Newfoundland, the first to shut down. There's still a long way to go yet, with many (many many I hope) votes to be cast.
I followed this election very closely within the online social media community this time around, with a large focus on Twitter. I found it interesting to see how engaged that community seemed to be, and I'm truly hoping that it translates well into a high voter turnout. The participation in our democracy was absolutely atrocious last time around, embarrassingly so. From what I can see however (and not just from observing online activity), engagement into politics has been way up over the past month. Yes, I do realize that overhearing many conversations regarding the election doesn't mean the people will turn out to vote, but I have faith. I believe in the people of Canada. They'll do the right thing and make their voices heard, I know they will.
In analysis of everything from my slightly altered point of view, I have no idea what to expect here. For the last year or so, I have been predicting that Iggy would become the next Prime Minister, as I believe he was groomed to be so by the banking elite, or whomever you want 'them'. While there is still a very strong possibility that he could become Prime Minster (either elected or via other means should Harper gain a minority again), the NDP surge discussed in the media as of late has my mind off balance, not knowing what to expect. I certainly did not expect Jack to be so heavily involved (much like everyone I figure), and all I keep pondering is if it's because there are more people in Canada who believe similar things as I do, than I thought there were?...
Anyway, there is an old adage; 'The devil you know is better than the devil you don't' or some variation. I'm sure there will be a high percentage of people who will vote Harper solely based on not knowing Iggy. I just didn't realize that there was such an abundance of people who decided to perhaps not vote for either devil... or at the very least another devil they knew; Layton. I'm not saying that Jack is a saint or anything, but at least Canadians knows him, recognizes him, and perhaps people are looking at that more than I thought they would. Will he become Prime Minister? It won't be by vote I don't think, no but, if Stevie gets a minority and a vote of confidence is lost and Jack is next in line... it's possible.
I'd like to point out that I'm not an NDP supporter normally. I'm not anything normally. I don't believe in extremist values in any sense of the world and I don't see a problem with 'flip-flopping' neither. People evolve and their values and beliefs evolve through the constant gain of knowledge and experience. I vote as I feel is best at that time, each time. This time, it was NDP.
Let's see how it all unfolds...
Monday, May 02, 2011
Tags
# Politics
About Stephen Eli Harris
Long time blogger forever trying to revive his blogging love. Originally from Newfoundland, he is now residing in PEI, adventuring on another island. While most of this space is focused on interenet and social media discussions, he will still dabble in political debates, and commentary on much of our culture, from time to time.
Politics
Labels:
Politics
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)































No comments:
Post a Comment